1.19.2006

Keepin' It Real

Since the day we arrived in Malta, Jessica and I have been amazed at the abundance of Christian phrases and quotes and symbols to be found all over the island. People don't just name their houses after saints, they've got bumper stickers too saying "My heart belongs to Jesus" or "No Jesus. No Peace. Know Jesus. Know Peace." or "John 3:16."

Lots of times, it sounds like something distinctly Protestant, "Jesus is the only way." But that sticker is on every other car, and there's hardly that number of dynamic believers in the country. It's more just a matter of culture. Tradition. A social obligation.

And it's kinda frustrating sometimes, feeling like people are stealing my passion, or cheapening the sticker I might have on my car, or just tricking me into hoping that driver might actually be a kindred spirit. But in the end, more than anything, it makes me stop and think what a bumper sticker's really for. Why do I wear my "christian" t-shirt? Does my WWJD bracelet really remind me to always ask what Jesus would do? Here it is in the words of one of the best ever Christian musicans, Steven Curtis Chapman:

Well I got myself a T-shirt that says what I believe
I got letters on my bracelet to serve as my ID
I got the necklace and the key chain
And almost everything a good Christian needs

I got the little Bible magnets on my refrigerator door
And a welcome mat to bless you before you walk across my floor
I got a Jesus bumper sticker
And the outline of a fish stuck on my car
And even though this stuff's all well and good
I cannot help but ask myself--

What about the change
What about the difference
What about the grace
What about forgiveness
What about a life that's showing
I'm undergoing the change


So, what christian symbols do you wear, stick, or keep around you? Whatever it is, make sure it really means something. Or one of my favorite lines from a Michael W. Smith song with a similar theme: Are you holding the key or are you intending to pick the lock of heaven's gates?

1 Comments:

At 12:43 PM, Blogger Russell said...

Ben, your post have been steller. Keep up the good work and keep me thinking! Can't wait to see you soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home