12.10.2005

Missions: Impossible?

Homesickness is a funny thing. I remember when I was a little kid, I couldn’t even spend a night away from home without going bezerk. Even at my best friends’ houses I got scared and missed my mom and dad. You can even ask ‘em today (they’re still good friends) about how I cried and my dad had to come pick me up and take me home at 10:30. I guess every kid has a phase like that, but I think mine lasted a bit longer than normal. I remember being embarrassed for myself, feeling sorry for making my dad drive all that way, and then feeling like a big wuss afterward.

Now today I’m 10,000 miles away from home, as I have been for almost 7 months now, and the homesickness is a little different. I’m not bawling for my mommy at 10:30 (although I do miss you like crazy, Mom) or anything like that. But I think the most interesting difference is people's understanding. I don’t have to be embarrassed because I know I’m not alone. When people say things like, “It must be tough” or “How’s the homesickness?” or something like that, then I know that they sympathize and they’d feel homesick too. It’s nice to feel normal.

But then sometimes I wonder, for a guy with a heart for missions, how much homesickness is normal? When my wife and I came to Malta, I was thinking, “No problem! We love traveling and experiencing new cultures! We’ll be great missionaries, we could live anywhere!” But since we’ve been here I’ve been thinking, “Man, there really is no place like home! I miss talking to people who understand me. I miss 24 hour supermarkets, and clearly labeled prices. And why should we live anywhere other than with our family?”

Now I understand that missionaries are just people too. If you prick them, do they not bleed? If you take them 10,000 miles away, do they not get homesick? But I guess I expected not to. So I’ve been wondering if I really am cut out for the whole missions thing. Maybe I’m meant to be a mobilizer at home. Maybe I’m meant to be a short-term supporter. Maybe it’s okay to be as homesick as anyone else, just without letting it stop me.


In any case, I’m confident that God has been guiding our every step, and will continue to do so. And that in Him all things are possible, missions too. But I'd especially love to hear from any of you "missionaries" out there on the topic.

3 Comments:

At 9:49 PM, Blogger Kindle said...

Ben,
Missing them doesn't make us abnormal, but it does remind us of the huge support network we have behind us. It keeps us going! Having a crew back home to miss means that you have people who love you, pray for you, and want God's best for you and your mission. Makes the missing worthwhile?
Besides, just as you are homesick, we are Ben n' Jess-sick! Can't wait to see you in the spring...first stop...TGISushi!
Tell Jess hi!
Kindle :)

 
At 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I may not live in a different country (though sometimes I feel like I do), I know exactly how you feel. All through high school I totally planned on moving East coast and never looking back. Then, instead of calling me to Nashville like I dreamed, God called me to ...Lynchburg???!! Craziness!! So I lived with graduation as my goal, then CA here I come back with a husband! But no. God calls us, not to San Jose, but to West Virginia! a place most of my family doesn't even know is a state!! I miss my family like crazy. especially after giving birth to my son. Thank God, He gave me a husband who tries to understand and doesn't just tell me to "get over it". Like you, I thought it would be easy for me to live somewhere else. It is hard for me and because of that its hard for my dear Chris. God is faithful to get me through. He is faithful to say "Hey! live for Me, not them. Keep your eyes on Me, not them." He has this funny way of bringing up the verse about the one who puts his hands to the plow and looks back is not fit for the kingdom of God. My hands are to the plow. My work is before me and my God gives me the strength I need to endure. Phil 3: 12-14 I press on toward the goal! You guys are in my prayers! don't lose sight of the "goal". Love you guys!

 
At 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like the genetic code that describes your unique passions and
abilities, your dreams have been woven into your being from birth. God gave you that dream to draw you toward the life you were born to live. Your Comfort Zone can keep you from accomplishing your goals. It is necessary to leave your comfort zone in order to achieve your dream. You can either keep your comfort or keep your dream. But know that when you break through your comfort zone the size of it will expand. Continue to hope and believe you can achieve something remarkable with your life. Ben, you have a compelling dream to trade your life for. It's okay to miss your family, friends and familiarity, but don't miss out on your God given journey. He made it specifically for you.

I wish you all the best! -Crystal

 

Post a Comment

<< Home